"This is a house of learners
Where values are sown
Where caring is shown
Where leaders are grown."
What is VbE?
‘Values-based Education is an approach to teaching that works with values. It creates a strong learning environment that enhances academic attainment, and develops students' social and relationship skills that last throughout their lives.
The positive learning environment is achieved through the positive values modelled by staff throughout the school. It quickly liberates teachers and students from the stress of confrontational relationships, which frees up substantial teaching and learning time.
It also provides social capacity to students, equipping them with social and relationship skills, intelligences and attitudes to succeed at school and throughout their lives.’
Definition taken from the VbE website www.valuebasededucation.com.
The importance of VbE at HWPS
VbE is a holistic approach to a child starting their journey at HWPS and on into the big wide world
As parent you entrust a school to nurture your child for the biggest part of their day away from you and your values in a homely and educational environment. At HWPS it is understood just how important this is, and it means that as much emphasis is placed on our children's safety, emotional development and behaviour as it is on attainment.
VbE is embedded throughout the school, and we hold HWPS's values central to how we work and learn together. They are a key aspect of the children’s assemblies where each 2 – 3 weeks a new value is explored and children who have demonstrated the value are celebrated . All lessons have the values integrated into the work from the national curriculum and the displays around the school also reflect them. The values are integral to how you as a parent are welcomed, greeted and responded to at the school.
HWPS has been a VbE school since 2009 and we are one of the leading examples of a VbE School in the UK. We are lucky enough to have it fully embedded into our culture. The key to our success is the whole community coming together as a family to embed the values that enhance our learning environment. This includes our pupils, our teachers and teaching assistants, our governors, the Hinchley Wood Primary School Association (PTA), the Children's Governing Body and our parent volunteers.
Ask your child about the values: we hope you'll be impressed and proud of their understanding; we certainly are! Our current values are Happiness, Hope, Appreciation, Caring, Co-operation, Fairness, Respect, Friendship, Patience, Trust, Honesty, Understanding, Thoughtfulness, Courage, Unity, Excellence, Enjoyment, Quality and Freedom.
How we ensure the success of VbE at HWPS
The school carries out regular surveys of parents and pupils to assess the VbE's continued benefit, always with positive results.
Feedback from parents surveys include;
- 100% of parents know that HWPS places great importance on whole school values, of which half chose the school for that reason.
- 95% agreed the school communicates the work done with these values well.
- 90% agreed that the values work at school helps their child in their approach to family life and relationships, friendships, work and attainment.
Examples of recent comments written in our Year six exit surveys include;
- ‘HWPS is good at making people caring’
- ‘We learn to understand why others are sad and what we can do to care for them’
- ‘We talk together and that is fun’
- ‘The teachers help us feel that we can do well’
- ‘We have been taught to respect others’ opinions, religions and needs’
- ‘Peer mediation is helping children make up when they are in a playground argument’
- We are taught our rights and we are taught our responsibilities and then we have to show we understand’
- ‘We are inspired by the values’
If you would like any further information about VbE and how it works at the school read on, check out the website above or, of course, please do ask!